October 16, 2013

Arts & Humanities Art Show - My October Picks

Gerardo is the art teacher at our school district's high school focus program, Arts and Humanities. On the second Friday of each month, he exhibits student work, sometimes drawing a couple hundred people. It's by far my favorite gallery in town. Many of the students are extremely talented, some with maturity beyond their years. These are my favorites from this month's show. Sorry about the glare on the frames. I need to be about 5 inches taller.


These are by Jade, whose research on vintage tattoos led to these remarkable drawings using black, red, yellow and green markers. You can see more of her work on her DeviantArt page, including some killer photography.


This looks like my little old grandma, sweet and prim. I love the background and the color of her hair. The flower pattern on the dress cracks me up. It's so totally something this woman would love. Whether or not it's intentional, I love the focus of her eyes, and how one eye is a little more open than the other. 


I wish I had gotten a glare-free picture of this one. It feels vintage. It's sweet and creepy, and maybe a little sad. The details of the porch behind the trick-or-treaters are great. 


This is the same artist who did the drawing above. I adore this: the orange roofs, the winding lane and that sky! I love the sky. 


This was done with a Sharpie. It's meticulous.


I'm not saying I want this in my house, but it's so full of emotion and movement that it's absolutely striking. I love the surreal quality of the lips and teeth, and how the eyeball on the right appears to be bulging out of its hole. 


 I love the details on this one--the wood door, the shapes of the clouds, the blades of grass cropping up, the perfect geometry of the shell. This is illustration at its finest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment